11.14.2006

Daytime Drama


Remember when you were in grade school or Junior High, and you had to stay home from school because you were sick?

The entire house was empty, besides Mom running around getting errands done, and you’d settle in front of the TV to rest up- You owned the remote control. Whatever you wanted to watch was completely up to you! This was an especially huge honor for me, since my 5 siblings and I always wanted to watch something different.

Especially during the day, there were fascinating talk shows, soap operas (Yes, I was a ‘Days of Our Lives’ fan thanks to my big brother. I still remember Carly being buried alive- and yet, she survived!), Maury Povich, and Montel Williams… informing the public on fascinating topics. ("You are my baby's daddy!"), and court show dramas, like ‘People’s Court.’

And now that, for the most part, my days are open, rather than work on my Resume or look online for job openings, I am tempted to flip on the TV and escape into the reality that is daytime TV.

So, outside of the always reliable ‘Oprah,’ what other talk shows are on these days?

Come to find out lots of people have talk shows, including Tyra ‘I’m more than a pretty face’ Banks, Megan ‘I used to be on that one funny sitcom’ Mullaly, Ellen ‘The hip talk show host’ Degeneres, and Rachel ‘I love my smile’ Ray. And, guess who’s still talking it up? Yep- Maury and Montel ! Wow, times really haven’t changed.

Today, just to see what was out there, I found these intriguing topics on various talk shows:
  • “Dad Kills Twins: The Truth About Depression”
  • “Sex Predators & Violent Attacks… Caught on Video!” (It’s the exclamation point that kills me.)
  • “Panty Party”
  • “Starving for Perfection”
  • “Hoarders”
  • “Turkey Day Tool Kit”
So, for all of you who are contributing to society, working your 8-5:00 job, let me tell you, you‘re not missing out on much. (And, yes, I know you can always DVR these shows- but, it’s just not the same watching ‘General Hospital’ at 8:43 pm.)

Although, there is always this to look forward to.

Dang, I missed it!

3 comments:

ali said...

I want that TV you posted as a photo. And speaking of soaps, I think the guy in the other hatch on the island (on "Lost") might be the same villainous eye patch-wearing dude from "Days." Striking resemblance.

Anonymous said...

That picture of Man-Tyra is ridiculous. I'm sorry you missed that too. She over does everything else, I can only imagine her "undercover" as a dude. I'm sure it was real subtle.

Kim said...

I cannot handle Tyra. Be glad you missed that one!
Although there is nothing good on TV I'm jealous you are at home. Enjoy it!