4.29.2007

sunken treasure

Ms. Ali has a way with words: she writes so beautifully and is always aware of amazing lyrics.

With music, I'm usually drawn first towards the melody, the instruments, what's coming next with the beats. And then the lyrics come secondary. Jeff constantly finds me making up my own lyrics to many of my favorite songs, or he'll correct me as to what the lyrics really are.


One song, though, that I've always loved the lyrics to is Wilco's Sunken Treasure. It's such a sad song. But, I love the analogy, and the passion (gotta love Tweety's raspy, strained voice).

There is minimal lyrics in the song, too:

There's rows and rows of house, with windows painted blue.
With the light from the t.v. running parallel to you.
But there is no sunken treasure, rumored to be.
Wrapped inside my ribs in a sea black with ink.
I am so out of tune with you, I am so out of tune with you.
If I had a mountain, I'd try to fold it over.
If I had a boat (or bone), you know I'd probably roll over.
And I leave it on the shore, I'd leave it for somebody.
Surely there's somebody who needs it more than me.
I am so out of tune with you, I am so out of tune with you.
All the leaves will burn and autumn fires then return.
All the fires we burn, all will return.
Music is my savior, and I was maimed by rock and roll.
I was maimed by rock and roll.
I was tamed by rock and roll.
I got my name from rock and roll.

I had to share because I've been anticipating Wilco’s new ablum, Sky Blue Sky, which comes out May 15th. I'm excited.

3 comments:

allison said...

oh lacey, thanks for sharing! I too am very excited for Wilco's new album!

Aimee said...

i downloaded this song and you are right it is so beautiful. Thanks for the lyrics too. I'm all about the words. Musicans are poets.

ali said...

Oh my but I'm complimented!

I opened this via Bloglines but didn't see the beautiful layout you created. Fun colors. And lovely song. I'll have to go see where I can hear it online...

You've got a way with music. Even/especially if you do write your own lyrics to other people's songs. :)