5.14.2007

Goodbye, Girls.



I am still dumbfounded that the CW decided to end the Gilmore Girls. Sure the show can’t go on forever, but I was hoping for another season to tie up all the Stars Hollow loose ends. Will we ever find out if Rory ends up with Jess? Or, if Kirk ever marries Lulu? Will Zach and Lane really become rock stars?

I guess we’ll never know.

And, in the immortal words of Rory Gilmore:

"... sometimes you have something you need to say but you can't, because the words won't come out or you get scared or you feel stupid. So, if you could write a song and sing it, then you could say what you need to say and it would be beautiful and people would listen and you wouldn't make a complete idiot out of yourself. But all of us can't be songwriters, so some of us will never be able to say what we're thinking or what we want other people to know we're thinking, so we'll never be able to get the chance to make things right again..."

It really is too difficult for me to explain how I feel about this show…

So, to commemorate the final episode, I have compiled a list of my Gilmore Girls Favorites:

Favorite Stars Hollow resident? Kirk. Anyone who misplaces all the Easter Eggs causing a deep stench in the city-center, as well as decide to live in a box above the city, is a favorite of mine. I always laugh when Kirk’s in a scene.

Favorite Lorelei boyfriend? Luke. Luke’s aware of Lorelei’s affinity for coffee, was there when Rory graduated from Chilton, and even built Lorelei a chupa for a wedding that never happened. For a time I liked Christopher, but the chemistry is still sparking between Luke and Lorelei. And Christopher wasn’t there for the girls when they needed him most.

Favorite Rory boyfriend? Jess. I guess I’m attracted to the rebel without a cause, and Jess fits the bill. It could’ve been Dean, but he ruined a marriage for her. And, it sure isn’t uppity-high-class snob Logan. (Did you see the way he ended things with her?) Jess was a good balance of likability without being overly likable.

Favorite Lorelei friend? Sookie. She too goes on language-rippling tangents that are filled with wit and awkwardness. And, she actually looks like she is a chef.

Favorite Rory friend? Paris. Paris’ unceasingly pessimistic attitude and competitive drive was so funny to watch. Rory and Paris were first enemies, but soon turned into life-long friends, and I‘m thankful for it… I did like Lane, but she just didn’t deliver those punch-lines like Paris.
Case in point:

“Fine, if you guys wanna sit around for an hour after school swapping makeover horror stories, then count me in. Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I plucked outside of my designated brow line? Man, was my face red.”

(However, Lane's short-lived romance with Adam Brody’s character Dave was fun to watch. He was Lane’s first kiss. What a nice first-kiss it was.)

Still reading? I'm impressed.

Favorite Stars Hollow Event? I really liked the Snowmen building episode where Lorelei and Rory built Bjork. I also enjoyed the episode where the town threw a funeral for Babet’s kitty, Cinnamon. And, the Living Art episode… perfect.

Favorite Episode(s)? There’s so many. But, the episode I can never tire from is the Dance Marathon. The Girls are dressed to the nines while they try and beckon their inner ‘50’s ballroom dancer. This is also the night Rory realizes she has feelings for Jess. Dean leaves. Rory’s sad. Lorelei comforts Rory. Kirk wins Dance Marathon.

Another great episode? When Max proposes to Lorelei for the second time. He literally fills her entire house with daisies. And, Lorelei then hands out daisies to all of Stars Hollow.

Favorite Guest Appearances? A lot of bands passed through Stars Hollow including the Shins (Okay, technically they were in Florida playing while Rory was on Spring Break.). Yo La Tengo, and Sonic Youth stopped by as Stars Hollow’s singing troubadours.

The list could go on and on. But, I have a feeling not too many are interested in my final goodbye.

So, finally:

Goodbye, Girls. I'll miss you.

7 comments:

drew said...

Holy crap.

Sarah said...

I loved this post! Yep, read it right to the end.
I'm so with you on the Jess/Rory thing. Such chemistry!
Hmm, will have to see if I can sneak a viewing on youtube. Ah well, another one for the dvd collection...

Kim said...

I LOVED it Lacey! What a tribute. I'm so sad it's coming to an end. What will I do with my time?

Anonymous said...

A perfect post for a sad day. They better end this show right--that's all I'm saying.

Kara said...

Wow, you so get it. What a fitting tribute.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, LJ. I'm writing to send you my condolences. Of course you know that I know how you feel.

I think the worst part about this is the no-warning. It's was like "oh, the show is ending in two weeks. Wrap it up!" :(

Lacey Jane said...

Andrew? What does holy crap mean? Ah, I think it means you weren't aware of this fine show... Don't worry. They air repeats. Good repeats.