6.26.2007

My Baack...

Age, for me, is a delicate thing. I love to celebrate my twin sister's birthday (and, I suppose it is nice that it's my birthday too.), but, for me, age is not just a number...

Maybe I focus too much on the actual number. When I was younger, I truly thought by the time I hit my age I would be a domestic diva, an expert wife, raised 3 kids, and even house-trained a dog.

But, in my state of mind, I feel like I just graduated from high school... er college. And, when people look at me, I think, they do think I'm younger... but, let's face it, I'm only getting older.

What's one activity you can do that reminds you of youth? For me, I spent many days jumping on the trampoline, as my imagination would run wild: the tramp would turn into a ship, or a zoo, or we'd place the sprinkler under the tramp, and turn it into a swimming pool.

Or, we'd sleep under the stars, and my dad would point out the Big Dipper and the North Star. And when my dad didn't sleep out under the stars with us, my sisters and I would go toilet papering.

What I'm trying to say is... being on the tramp reminds me of being a young kid again. You can't help but smile and giggle as you play 'crack the egg' or '3-man bounce.' (If you haven't played any of these games... you're missin' out.)

So, while at my parent's house on Sunday, Jeff and I attempted to feel youthful while jumping on the trampoline. And, it worked! We laughed, smiled as we jumped up and down. We even taught my niece and nephews trampoline games... and had lots of fun. I loved it.

However, the next morning, my back did not love it. I woke up not being able to sit up. I couldn't bend over. Any and all action was painful. When I walked something was noticeably wrong... very wrong with my back. Both sides of my back felt pinched, and it hurt to move.

All this from jumping on the trampoline?

Yes... I now have a physical reminder that I truly am getting older...

And boy does it hurt.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh dear! Hmm, I'm trying to think of what I used to do as a kid... I do have a vivid memory, I must have been about 4 yrs old of telling my Nana I would never have wrinkles like she had when I was older. I simply could not understand why her and my Mum were roaring with laughter when Nana told Mum about it later. I guess I understand now. I looked at my hands the other day and they are aging! I especially want to have young looking hands. I don't know why. I'm no hand model.
By the way, I am 32. Not that old, but not that young either and yes, I know what you mean about thinking like a teeenager. There's some younger girls at my work (22ish) and I always think we are a similar age and then I remember I am a whole decade older than them! And the thing is, I still love all those teen programmes - Laguna beach etc. Will I still be watching re-runs of 90210 when I am in a rest home at age 80? Who knows!

Colleen said...

I've never worried about my age, partly because I do look younger than I am, but in December I'll be THIRTY. That might be a little depressing. Going to amusement parks makes me feel young again. I can't wait for Lagoon Day in August!

Kim said...

I know exactly what you mean. It makes me so sad when I think about things like that because I still feel so young I don't like to be reminded I'm not, I guess my huge belly helps to remind me of that. On a brighter note it is someones birthday this week YIPPEEE! only two more days.

ali said...

Can't wait to celebrate your birthday, you ol' lady!

Maybe a massage would make a good gift?

I love that you are young at heart but also quite wise. There's a nice little juxtaposition living within you and it makes you a great friend.

Aimee said...

Happy Birthday Lacey!

Tampolines are the most fun! That was a funny blog!