1.27.2008

Goodbye, for now.

Still can't believe our beloved Prophet has gone... I always enjoyed his sense of humor, and his sweet, sweet spirit.

Found this talk here, and can't help but share some of it:

"Now we come to the close of this great conference. The choir will sing “God Be with You Till We Meet Again” (Hymns, no. 152). I’m grateful for that song. It says:
God be with you till we meet again; By his counsels guide, uphold you; With his sheep securely fold you. …

When life’s perils thick confound you, Put his arms unfailing round you. …
Keep love’s banner floating o’er you; Smite death’s threat’ning wave before you. God be with you till we meet again.

I have sung those words in English when others sang them in a score of languages. I have lifted my voice with those wonderful and simple words on memorable occasions on all the continents of the earth. I have sung them in bidding farewell to missionaries, with tears in my eyes. I have sung them with men in battle dress during the war in Vietnam. In a thousand places and in many circumstances over these almost numberless years, I have raised my voice with so many others in these words of parting, sung by people who love one another.

We were strangers when we met. We were brothers and sisters when we said good-bye. These simple words became a prayer offered to the throne of heaven in behalf of one another. And in that spirit, we bid good-bye..."

What an incredible spirit...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is such a beautiful post, lacey. i too love him so much. what a great man - he'll be so very missed.

allison said...

I love this lacey. thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. sweet pres. hinkley...

Erin said...

What a perfect post. Thanks for sharing Lacey.

Kim said...

What a great post Lacey, I love that. And I love that picture! How sweet is he and I'm so happy he's with his wife again!