12.07.2006

Guilty Pleasure #8: Xanadu


You know you’re in for a treat when the first line of the movie you’re watching is, “Aw, what the hell. Guys like me shouldn’t dream anyway.”

Last night, Jeff and I found one of my all-time Guilty Pleasures, Xanadu, tucked in the ‘Free Movie’ section on Comcast’s OnDemand. Not intending to watch it in its entirety, we started from the beginning when all 8 Muses (or sisters) danced gracefully out of the wall- and, slowly, but surely, the music and whimsical storyline kept us captivated until the very end.

Regardless of legendary actor's Gene Kelley's role, movie critics have dubbed Xanadu as one of the worst films ever made. But I challenge their opinion! True- Olivia cannot dance worth beans in the movie, and yes, maybe their intentions were to make another Grease, but the music is phenomenal!

Aside from the anthem, ‘Xanadu,’ there are many romantic hits on this soundtrack, including: ‘Suddenly,’ ‘Suspended in Time,’ ‘The Fall,’ and the song I really, really wanted to place on my Wedding Video: ‘Don’t Walk Away.’ (You remember- this was the song when Sonny and Kira turn into animated cartoon characters...
What an amazing scene!)

Being a disco skating fanatic, I started going to Classic with my older sister when I was in 8th grade. And when Olivia Newton John’s voice filled the rink singing 'Xanadu,' it was a true anthem! The wheels on your skates rolled a bit faster, and the dance moves that accompanied were more inspired.

This soundtrack is one of the best sing-along albums ever made. With the help of the Electric Light Orchestra, the songs are breathtaking.

As for the storyline, it may not be as inspired or breathtaking as the soundtrack, but it too is very imaginative. In a nutshell, the plot is the story of a girl (Olivia) who makes dreams come true. (Sure, she’s a muse whose father is Zeus, but the girl can sing!)

Even with some fearless acting by the character Sonny Malone, and inspired dancing by Gene Kelly, you may wonder: how was this movie actually made? It just looks like it takes place in a huge warehouse with an array of different backdrops. But, hang on- you’ll find yourself tapping your toes and aching to strap on roller skates by the end of the movie.

Here's your challenge: Watch Xanadu. Even if you've watched it before, watch it again! It's a very enjoyable movie experience. (Oh, if you know the lyrics, be sure to sing along- you too will feel like a Muse who can make dreams come true. Promise.)

6 comments:

ali said...

I am sorry (or should I be proud? No, not after your post) to say that I have never partaken in the Xanadu experience. Luckily, I have fantastic Comcastic so it'll give me something to do when the husband is working graveyards. As always, thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Lacey, Maeve and I just watched Romancing the Stone, one of my childhood favorites. Luckily, I stopped on AMC (I guess its a classic) for long enough to recognize the opening credits. We watched the whole thing and it was brilliant.

I love unexpected movie watching expiriences. I glad you had a good one.

ali said...

One more thing, if this is guilty pleasure no. 8, i'm expecting a good nine more.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of movies that incorporate mythology, rollerskating, rock n' roll, big band and the pursuit of true love, but this one may be the worst of them all.

Kim said...

I remember a time the Carlson's sat me down for this little gem of a movie! I'll admit it was entertaining and a little overwhelming at times. I'm glad to hear it's still one of your favorites, especially because I don't know a stronger movie critic than you!!
Didn't one of you want to name your child Xanadu or something with an 'X'?

Lorilee said...

Jeff's comment had me rolling. I think I might share his same opinion.