1.22.2007

The Search Is Over!

After a long 2 months, my job search has concluded.

Today, I happily accepted an eCommerce Marketing Manager position with Franklin Covey, and I am thrilled.

Over the past 2 months, I have been on a tedious search to find the best job for me. I have scoured job advertisements, (www.craigslist.org and Yahoo's Hot Jobs are my favorite) emailed cover letters/resumes, (I have over 20 different types Cover Letters/Resumes depending on the position.), taken grammar and personality tests (On average, a personality test can take at least 90 minutes.). And last, but certainly not least, sit with strangers to try and convince them that I would be the right employee for them. (I have 3 interview-ready outfits. One of which (J-Crew gray, wool turtle neck with dark gray, wool pants, black boots, and my good-luck charm: my great-grandma's locket necklace.) always brought me luck.

Over the course of the past 2 months, I've had job offers, which I declined. Something about the possible job didn't feel right in my gut. But, once I declined, I'd have to stumble past an array of questions that popped in my head: "Now, why did I not take the job?","What if I don't receive another job offer?" or, "I suppose the commute wouldn't be that bad."

There was also a hand-full of interviews, which I walked out of feeling confident and optimistic (which is a rarity for me) that the interviewees really liked me. Really. But, then I'd receive an email, letter, or phone call 2 weeks later indicating they found another candidate that better fit the position. And, the entire process would start all over again.

On the other hand, I was able to spend my days however I liked. I didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time, didn't have to answer to a manager... My days were wide open for lunch dates with my mom and sisters. I had plenty of time to practice the piano. And, I finally was able to organize the kitchen cupboards, as I liked. But, it took me awhile to adjust to my newfound freedoms. And, there's only so many cupboards left to clean...

So, I am very excited that this long-winded, seem-to-never-end journey is over. Finally.

I will confess; I've definitely been humbled. I realized it's okay to ask for help: fasting and praying are a necessity. And, I, again, realized how patient my sweet husband is. Whenever I'd see a job advertisement at Village Inn or McDonalds I'd jokingly say, "Maybe they'll hire me." But, Jeffrey never thought it was very funny... I suppose he knew there was something much better out there for me.

And, I must give a special shout-out to my friend Brad; he's the one that networked my resume at Franklin Covey... without him, I don't know if I would've gotten an interview. Thanks so much Brad!

Yay for jobs! Yay for sweet husbands! Yay for supporting parents and siblings! Yay for friends! And, Yay! my search is over. Finally.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

See ya at work buddy.

Do you know when you start yet?

ali said...

Yay! In my book, they are lucky to have you. If I owned/managed a company, you'd be one of my first selections. But you already know that. :)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Now you will be working with Brad and my brother John. Now, Jesse just needs to get hired on their when he graduates in May. It is going to be one non-stop party at Franklin Covey.

Bridgett said...

Congratulations! I am really excited for you and jealous that you get to work with Brad. Plus your job title makes you sound so authoritative and smart.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words... I start tomorrow... wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lacey
Like I said before I'm glad you got a job I missed my shopping buddy!
I guess no more "afternoon sneak previews" for you on MTV

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lacey! I hear Frankin Covey is an awesome place to work.

Kim said...

Yippeee for Lacey! You've worked so hard you deserve a good job and it sounds like this is the one!

Lorilee said...

I'm a little late a posting a comment... but I loved reading the good news! I can't wait to hear how it's going..

donna said...

hey lacey --- i'm so excited for you!!! sounds like a great place to work -- does your family (like your favorite aunt) get a discount there? lol. - they are so lucky to get you!!! lov you!!!