2.19.2007

My Inner-Teenager

As I was wandering the mall on Saturday, I came across some adorable flats. I tried them on at Black Chandelier (cute apparel, too, but utterly over-priced) and knew I wanted to add them to my shoe collection. This pair could perhaps be my summer go-to shoe. A shoe that I could wear with lots of different outfits, but still seem incredibly new. (I do believe ‘Marie Antoinette’ influenced me, since I had just finished watching it.)

I try them on; Jeff also approves … But, the store only has a 7.5 or an 8, and I need a 7. Dismally, I leave the store, but venture over to Nordstrom to see if they’ve got this perfect shoe in my size.

I survey the merchandise, and spot the shoe! but, not in the colors I want. I think about the black/pink variety then the blue/red, and still think it would be a great shoe, but know it’s only the navy/mustard color I really want. I look down and see a girl trying on the shoe in that exact color… I ask her what size she’s got. (Who knows, she may leave them behind, and I could snatch them up.) A salesman approaches, and says, “What size are you looking for?” He then brings me the shoe in a size 7. Success!

Ready to purchase the shoes, I look back at the girl trying on the same shoes I’m ready to buy. As she smiles at me, I notice her braces. Her mom is sitting with her trying on the shoes in all 3 colors. Her mom tells me, “We can’t decide which color to buy.” First, I think, this girl must only be 14. Secondly I think, do I want a 14 year-old to have the exact shoes as me?! Jeff elbows me, and I suggest the navy/mustard color, since there seems to be more to wear with them. I smile and say, good luck.

I slowly approach the counter and think: I like the same shoes as a 14 year old. And, I just spent an hour browsing Gadzooks while 2 high school girls, also waiting for a dressing room, talk about an upcoming stomp. The thought resumes, and I think: “Am I stuck in a fashion rut?” I don’t want to be the lady who looks like she's longing for her teenaged years, constantly in a mid-life crisis.

But, then I think: I do feel like a 14 year old getting excited over cute shoes and a cheap top. So why does it matter that I wear the same clothes as teenagers?

At least I’ll have cute shoes.


7 comments:

ali said...

You're my kind of gal, Lace. Gadzooks or bust.

Cute shoes, too!

Justin Brown said...

Zootie you are hillarious! So are you going to the stomp with your new friends? ha ha j/k i love your style it is you and those shoes are adorable!!

allison said...

Lacey, this story really made me laugh because I recently experienced the exact same feeling as I browsed Gadzooks for some possible maternity tops (which there were a plethora of)--and waited in line behind teenage girls. I felt so old! But who cares!

BTW, those shoes are very cute.

Kim said...

Such cute shoes and don't ever give up that inner teenager!

Lorilee said...

Lacey, I can also relate. I just justify wearing the same clothes as teenagers by saying.. "I will wear it different than they will"--which is true. My Mom and I have a bunch of the same clothes and she dresses her age and I dress my age (at least I hope so). So don't worry, you always look very classy and stylish.. and exactly like a 27? year old.

Anonymous said...

maybe you should cut your hair short to feel older??-kidding I'm jealous of your hair. I'm just happy that girl had braces!

Anonymous said...

PS The new music (the reminder) that silhouette looks just like you!