4.05.2007

April: National Poetry Month

Did you know this month is National Poetry Month? To celebrate, I signed up to receive a poem a day from Poets.org. My favorite so far:
Language
by: W. S. Merwin

Certain words now in our knowledge we will not use again, and we will never forget them. We need them. Like the back of the picture. Like our marrow, and the color in our veins. We shine the lantern of our sleep on them, to make sure, and there they are, trembling already for the day of witness. They will be buried with us, and rise with the rest.


If you'd also like to have a poem sent to your inbox everyday, sign-up here.

1 comment:

ali said...

I'm terrible at poetry and only have the patience to understand very easy-to-read ones. I should try to improve on that, because when they're good, there's nothing quite like a sweeping poem.

I guess I like poems that are attached to music.