4.12.2007

I Want to be a Runner

1 month exactly.

I have one month to get ready for the Race for the Cure. Yesterday, I ran for 35 minutes on the treadmill, and I was able to run just over 2 miles. So, it is doable. I can do this. My goal is to run a 5K under 30 minutes, so I’d need to run a 9 minute mile to make my goal.

I’ve always wanted to be a runner. I’ve always wanted the physical strength to go for a 3 mile run, no problem. Running is such an amazing workout; it feels so freeing- that wind blowing through my hair, while a steady beat blares through my iPod into my ear- Running makes me feel like a 7 year old kid again.

But, I’ll be honest: I am not a good runner. My face gets bright red after I run 30 minutes, my legs ache, my left ankle hurts, and my breathing gets all messed up, and I get side aches.

Regardless… My coworkers and I might (that is the keyword) be doing a half-marathon in August. And, I really want to do it.

In the meantime, I’m going to first see how I do with a physically-possible 5K at the Race For the Cure May 12. Plus! This run is for an amazing cause.

More info here.

Let me know if any of you are thinking about it!

7 comments:

daisy said...

I'm glad to know you are committed to become a RUNNER..none of this jogger crap. And let me just tell you from one runner to another....running on a treadmill is a lot different than running outside. It's harder. So if you feel crappy after a run inside because you only went so far or so slow/fast. Don't sweat it! Take it outside next time and you will feel the difference. (And maybe you have already figured this out--now you know it's true for others)

Lorilee said...

Lacey, I'm running the Race for the Cure too. My family and I run it every year.. and I always love it. I'm not a good runner either... but feel good doing it... ESPECIALLY after my run is over.
Every year (half way through the race) my eyes usually well up with tears, after seeing all the people breast cancer has effected. I think that's why I keep doing it every year.
See ya at the finish line!

Anonymous said...

Lacey, I try and run a couple times a week.

My hips hurt me after I run, I guess I'm not a good runner either

ali said...

Go Team Lacey!

Not only are you going to cross the finish line, you got a rare comment from my husband.

Kim said...

Lacey I feel the same way about running, I love it I'm just no good at it but I've always wanted to be a runner. And I'll definitely join you for a half marathon after I give birth!

Dede said...

Ok, let me just say that not very many people are natural born runners. I really think anyone can be a "runner" and I think anyone can run long distances (except people with major health problems). You just have to train correctly. If you gradually build up your mileage, you won't even notice the difference in running one mile or four miles. I am a firm believer that ANYONE can be a runner. So, Lacey...I really think you should train for that half marathon, you would do really well.

P.S. There are so many training schedules out there on the www. You should check them out. Good Luck!!!

Lacey Jane said...

If anyone ever wants to go running together, (Dede, I wish we could go!) I'm always looking for a running buddy.

I have found some good resources online and excersise schedules... I just gotta stick to it!

Glad you're doing Race for the Cure too, Lori!