6.19.2007

The Hour I Fell Off The Wagon

Last Thursday I had to run a quick errand to buy a gift for a baby shower I had that evening. So, I quickly ran to Target on my lunch break.

I’ve committed 3 things to myself:

1. I will not buy myself any clothes until after my birthday. (Not sure why I set this deadline, but it seemed to work.)

2. I will not drink carbonated beverages. (This was something I had not slipped on for over 8 years. But, I started casually sipping my husband’s Dr. Pepper, or Root Beer… just sips. And, over the last 2 months I’ve reached for entire cans of carbonated drinks without even thinking about what I was doing.)

3. I do not eat meat. (Fish sometimes, yes, but chicken? Beef? Pork? Not this girl.)

Back to my lunch break on Thursday.

Fully intending to purchase a little outfit for this baby shower, I walk into Target and instantly start glancing through the women’s clothing. (I’ve really enjoyed the new Patrick Robinson line.) As I glance, I start piling clothing in my arms to try on- just to try on. (Trying something on doesn’t necessarily mean you intend to buy it, right?)

Wrong. I walked out of the store after purchasing an entire outfit. (Bracelet included.)

Needing to get back to work sooner than later and needing lunch, I opt for Greek Soulvaki, as they have a drive-thru. Thinking I’d order just a Greek Salad and pita, I begin to place my order… but, I thought why not treat myself to a Veggie Gyro? (Feta Cheese, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and cucumber sauce all tucked in a warm soft pita? Yum.)

I pull up to the window where the cashier asks if I’d like a combo, which includes Lemon Rice and a beverage… Sure. What the heck? After all, I haven’t been drinking that much carbonation lately… “A Dr. Pepper, please.”

Then the cashier says, “Just so you know, the Lemon Rice has Chicken Stock in it… is that okay?”

I stop. Think about it and say: “Yes, that’s just fine.”

I arrive back to work, pull into the parking lot and quickly get back to my desk and eat my lunch.

While eating, I look down at the Lemon Rice, and stop mid-chew… I’m eating chicken stock?! (Most likely, all vegetarians have eaten some sort of chicken stock without realizing it. Ignorance can be bliss. But, this time I was fully aware of the fact that I chose to eat the chicken.)

To get the taste out of my mouth, I sipped on the Dr. Pepper… I stop- Wait a minute! I’m not supposed to be drinking any Dr. Pepper! Frustrated, I laid my head into my hand… and notice the new bracelet I just purchased…

Whwhaaat? I BOUGHT MYSELF AN ENTIRE OUTFIT!

What was I thinking…?

In just one lunch break, I managed to break a promise that I’ve kept to myself and my wallet for 6 weeks. I drank an entire medium sized Dr. Pepper, and consciously choose to eat chicken stock.

And the main motive for me going out on my lunch break? I needed to purchase a baby gift. But, while shopping in Target, I received a call from my cousin asking if I’d like to contribute to a group gift for the shower, which I obliged to.

So… I didn’t have to go to Target in the first place.

I could’ve stayed put. At work. Eating my fake Chicken Patty. With a bottled water. But, instead…

I fell hard off that wagon.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh dear. Is it really bad that this post made me laugh? It was the way you wrote it. Like Bridget Jones.
But really I admire how good you are/try to be! Do you drink any carbonated water at all like Sparkling Mineral Water? I drink loads of water at work and sometimes get sick of drinking it! Need some new ideas.
Don't feel so bad. You really do extremely well!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I admire your determination. But I have to say, if you're going to break those three resolutions, you really chose the best places and means to do it. Target, Greek Souvlaki, and Dr. Pepper? Those are three of my best friends. I hope they treated you well.

I'm going to be craving that lemon rice all day. Mmmmm.

allison said...

Haha Lacey, that was fun to read. I'm sorry you fell off the wagon.. but maybe you deserved a little extra treatment :)

besides, who can pass up that lemon rice?? not me.

Lorilee said...

I loved this post Lacey. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who falls off the wagon every now and then, and I guess it's want makes you fun. If we all just drank water, never bought new clothes, and didn't splurge on yummy food....life would be boring.

Kristin said...

This was super funny, probably because I could completely relate. At least you were off the wagon to fall off, I just keep trying to get back on but to no avail *sigh*

Anonymous said...

zootie you are so funny! dr pepper is yummy! and you deserve a new outfit! you have been tough for so long! as far as the chicken stock goes.. no comment! zzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

It is similar situations such as you have described that are why Hallie refuses to let me shop by myself most of the time.
There's no telling what a simple stop to a store for one thing could turn into for me. Maybe we need milk...I'd probably come home with two 12-packs of my favortite beverage (Diet Pepsi w/Lime!) and some kettle chips or bendy straws or pickles-there's just no telling. And forget about going to a CD store for someone else...words could not do justice to the damage I am capable of doing to our checking account there without thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

falling off wagons is my number one passtime. i like this story alot.

Anonymous said...

it is good to know i am not the only one!!!
you make me laugh - come hang out one night when jeff goes to to basketball ?!?!?

ali said...

Lacey Jane: You are the best. What a fun post.

I'll fall off the wagon with you, anyday, be it with Dr. Pepper, clothes binging or chicken stock. But I don't set limits for myself so that'll be hard to do. Just no kickin' back on gradma's cough syrup, over here.

I think most people are at their best when they're "off the wagon" so cheers to you.

Anonymous said...

You ate CHICKEN stock!?!!

I am very disappointed in you Lacey.

BEAU, COURT & BOYS said...

Oh this one made me laugh so hard! You are the funniest girl around.

Anonymous said...

Lacey...hilarious. I'll repeat what has been said before...I'm glad I'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

So wait, whats chicken stock exactly? Juice left over from boiling a chicken?

I like that one of Jeremy's forbidden purchases is bendy straws.

Kim said...

ha Lacey this is one of my favorite posts of all time! that's so hilarious! The only one I'm truly surprised about is the chicken stock but I'm so glad you fell off the wagon, we all need to enjoy a little soda and some shopping sometimes!