9.06.2007

Fleeing Locks

What is it about women and their hair?

I’ve had all sorts of hairstyles from the short (once, my little sister did mistake me for a boy) to the long (far too long- it was 1995-1996 when Alanis Morrisette was huge. Everyone thought I was trying to look like her.)

But, I always tried to be the girl who didn’t care about her hair. I never grew an attachment to any of my hair styles. I always tried something different every 6-8 weeks with my hair stylist. For me, this turned into a sort-of creative outlet.

For whatever reason, I really wanted my hair to be long when I got married. So, I attempted to grow it out, and have continued to do so over the past 2 years. For those of you who do not know, I’ve got t-h-i-c-k hair.

(Don’t even remind me of the haircut I received at 19. My friend, in hair school at the time, gave me her first haircut. The cut's length ended right in the middle of my ears. Remember I said I have thick hair? It’s partially curly too, so my head looked like a giant triangle.)

Where was I? Oh yes, over the course of the past two years, my hair’s grown incredibly slow. It’s gotten stuck and refused to grow any further. Which is fine, but in my head, I had a goal:

I want my hair to fall just below my shoulders.

Then, I started watching ‘Heroes.’

Anyone watched it? (Not as great as ‘Lost,’ but the storytelling is very smart and the characters have super-hero powers.) Jeff and I have turned into 'Heroe'-crazed fans. We watch at least 2 episodes a night. And, in doing so I’ve been consumed with ‘Heroes’ images, and fell head-over-heels for this haircut:

(That’s Norah Zehetner; she plays Eden. She was also in the movie ‘Brick’ and was in the short-lived drama ‘Everwood.’)

Jeff, too, loved this haircut. So, in my head, I’ve been mentally preparing myself—Should I go back to short hair? But, what of my goal? My hair has yet to reach my shoulders…

See? What is it about hair? All of a sudden, I felt a real loyalty to my long locks. Sure, it drives me crazy some mornings, and it’s a pain to wash, but it has been growing… and, all of a sudden I want to chop all that hard work away?

I felt like I would betray my own hair.

But, as fate would have it, guess who had a hair appointment today at 5:00?

So... I jumped. I went for it.

Last night- this was me:

Tonight- this is me:


Although, I didn’t keep my goal to myself, or to my hair, I did it. I let those loyalties flee, and I feel free. (5 pounds lighter too.)

Now...!

if I could just figure out how to style it.

21 comments:

Aimee said...

Lacey, I totally totally love it! It looks so super cute.

I too know this dilemia of the long locks but it is so fun to have something new and fresh.

My cousin-in-law and I always talk about how people with short hair get so many compliments on their "cute cut" and people with long hair get occassional comments about how beautiful their hair is.

My point: I think short cuts end up getting more attention and it is sometimes time for a fun cut rather than the long lucious locks. There is a time for every cut under heaven, I guess!

Your time is now for the cute cut and it is SUPER SUPER darling. So fun you were daring!

ali said...

OMG(osh)! I am DYING. I was seriously this close to posting about the same thing a couple days ago because I needed feedback, and have been stock-piling short-hair photos from mags for a couple months now.

But you've already gone ahead and taken the plunge.I am one proud friend. I LOVE you with short hair. Do you LOVE me with short hair? You have definitely inspired me.

Lorilee said...

I la la love it Lacey. It looks so dang cute.
I have had such a hard time with long hair lately...trying to come up with different ways to pull it back, sometimes I wonder why I just don't cut it all off. If I knew it would look as cute as yours, I would.

Anonymous said...

Lacey Jane!!! I LOVE it! You have the cutest hair no matter what length. Way to go!

Kim said...

Wow Lacey!! WOW! I LOVE IT! I can't wait to see it in person. I'm so proud of you! I did the same thing after I had Van and it was very scary. Good for you for taking the plunge! I only wished mine turned out as cute as yours!

allison said...

Lacey, it is SO cute. I love that you felt you had a 'loyalty' to your long hair.. that's exactly how I felt right before I cut mine. It was so long (and out of control)--now it's super short too! Doesn't it feel great? I love the feeling of having my hair cut.

Good Job. I really suits you.

becky said...

hey....i absolutely LOVE your hair! your blog is so cute...thanks for letting me peek! would you and ali want to hit dinner before class next week?

nicole hill gerulat said...

wow you look amazing! i had short hair until 5 yrs ago.. and if I had the curl you have, i'd do the same cut.

ali said...

p.s. Your jaw bone is really pretty.

Unknown said...

hey lacey,
it's caroline from photo class.. just wanted to tell nice job on taking the plunge. your hair turned out super cute!
see you tuesday!

Lacey Jane said...

Wow... thanks friends! Just the reassurance I needed!

Kristin said...

Lacey being a curly hair associate of yours, I am always obsessing about my hair. I grow it out, I cut it, I grow it out...I think it's because as a curly girl it's harder to have the trendy cuts so I am always on the look out for fresh, sassy and fun. Looks like you accomplished it. Super Cute!

alyson. said...

I just linked to your blog from ali loves curtis, and I must say, I am too a big fan of your short hair. and I love that pinback video. and I'm loving your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Lacey it is beautiful! The first picture of you with your long hair it looked like you were naked-I was like whoa (but it is just the color of your shirt!) Also, Matt loves Heroes!! That is funny you guys are into it-the new season starts soon. I can't wait to see the new hair in person-I must say good bye to my horse.

Lisa Cannon said...

I LOVE IT!! It is making me miss my old hair :) I'm not ready to make the big move yet!! It is so cute. Didn't you have your hair like that a long time ago? I remember....

Unknown said...

I love it! mom

Colleen said...

Love it! Very cute. I always had looong hair (like waist-length) until I got married, then I got it chopped to my chin. And chopped is the best possible word to describe that particular haircut. I've got the super-thick hair too, and I became all too familiar with the triangular pouf you mentioned. Luckily, I'm not all that attached to mine either. I'm all for fun hair experiments now! Way to go!

hannah said...

LOVE iT!!!! You look beautiful

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT sissy!! you can do short hair! It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

wait one more question... do you have to wash it more frequently? ha ha :)

jess said...

Lacey, I love your new cut! I guess I don't remember it long from our first photo class, but it's so cute short! Very stylish...