12.17.2008

Faves of 2008: #6 and #5

#6: Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
This album has topped many best-of lists for the year. I listened to this album sometime ago, so it’s hard for me to believe that this is a 2008 album. Either way… I LOVE it.

For me, the album sounds and feels SO refreshing. It’s hard to place their pop-ish sound. I hear many different influences- from Paul Simon (see “Kape Code Kwassa Kwassa”) to the Beach Boys (see “Campus”)- but, I love the way their sound can easily be identified to them. It’s the bubbly combination of bass, guitar, and keyboards (at least, I think that’s how they get that one horn sound).

It’s a happy, happy album. And, I’ve continually listened to it time and time again.

Favorite song? Don’t really have one. I like ‘em all.
Listen to: "Campus"

#5: Nada Surf: Lucky
I don’t know what it is about Nada Surf… I’ve been a huge fan ever since “Let Go.” I think a big part of it, for me, is their melodies. They’re beautiful. (Examples: “See These Bones,” and “Are You Lightning.”)

I think this band in general gets lost in the shuffle by a lot of bigger bands. But, give them a chance. You’ll love them.

Favorite song: This is a tough decision. How about “Are you Lightning?” (This one makes me hum aloud at work. Wait for the strings at the end... pretty.)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Can't wait to see the last of the list!

Good variety so far.

Carlye Momma said...

I had never heard that song before...SO pretty! (Are You Lightning.) I like your taste in music mama!

LOVE YA!