11.30.2006

I got rythm... I got music...

I look forward to Thursday nights. I get to release lots of pinned up energy, laugh it up with my favorite dancing friend Camie, and try new moves that my body just doesn't know how to interpret.

I've been going to an adult Tap and Hip-Hop class for the past year at a Studio in Sandy. My little sister, Brecke, teaches the Hip-Hop class, and I clumsily try and interpret her movements.

In tap, I've learned it's all about listening to the rhythm of the steps. I've come to love hearing the shuffle, tap, and skuff sounds, while trying to sychronize the sounds with everyone else. I'm not good at pull-backs, and we haven't even attempted wings, but I love the movement. (It's addicting; while Jeff looks for the right kind of cookies or treats at the grocery store, I find myself busting out 8 counts of some tap move!)


(I convinced Brecke to take a couple of pictures of us working on our Holiday dance.)


As for hip-hop, well, let's just say, I try and try every week. But, somehow I look absolutely ridiculous! The main thing that gets me through the class is not looking at my inept body in the mirror, and looking at Camie who can always get me to laugh.

Besides that, Brecke keeps us on our toes. We do lots of Cardio. She plays funky beats from J.T., Black Eyed Peas- fun music that I can admit I like- but, only in this class.

Plus- deep, deep in my heart, at dance, I feel like I'm a back-up dancer for some hot act, and I can shake my groove thing like the best of them... Watch out Pussycat Dolls!

It's only later that I realize it's a good thing I'm going to dance-- I was slowly loosing my coordination, and now it's slowly coming back.

Not only that, my partners in crime, Camie and Brecke, make me smile! If only I could move the way they do, we would be unstoppable!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lacey stop right there!! You have good moves in hip-hop, you have never struggled once in that class. Stop being so modest- my little modest mouse

ali said...

This is my favorite happy:blissful post times ten. Made me laugh out loud, and want to be the FOURTH partner in crime. Can I, please?
p.s. Be careful with those pull-backs, more often than not, I end up doing a face-plant. They're even more dangerous though less frequent than an over-zealous batma (spelling help, please, but you know what I'm talking about.) Keep up the good work, twinkle toes.

Lorilee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorilee said...

Sounds like so much fun! Keep us posted on when the "Holiday Dance" performance will be.... can't wait to see it. I hope you are workin' it at the clubs and on the dance floor with those hip hop moves. You wouldn't want all that practice to go to waste.

Anonymous said...

OOOOh. "Comment deleted" that sounds so misterious. I have never seen that before.


They should have a class where all that you do is toe touches. I remember how funny and fun that was at the cabin.

ali said...

Yeah, and Camie's were out of this world. She could teach the class.

Anonymous said...

She should! Camie's toe touchers are unbelievable!... wait? weren't mine too?

And for any of the ladies out there, boys too, you are always welcome to the adult classes. They'll be starting back up in January... Ali, we're waiting for YOU!

Kim said...

Lacey . . .after seeing my Bop It performance the other night you should understand why I've been avoiding all the invites to the hip hop class. I think I just happened to be the most uncoordinated individual on the planet. But I definitely wish I wasn't because I would love to join you, Camille, and Brecke once a week for a non-stop laugh performance! Maybe someday I'll get the courage up, at least it would be a good laugh for you!