1.04.2007

Guilty Pleasure #10: 'Beauty and the Geek'

Okay... this one's difficult to admit: I watch 'Beauty and the Geek.' And, yes, I find it very entertaining.
I probably have too much time on my hands, because I've been able to catch up on the first and second seasons of the show thanks to MTV and VH1. For me, even the title of the show is something that I was totally turned-off by! (I'm the girl who refuses to shop, or walk into, a Victoria's Secret due to their sleeze-infilled commercials.)

Really? This show's trying to categorize a group of women as beauties and men as geeks? So, are they trying to exploit people who love Star Trek and have a Master's degree in Linguistics, and then pair them up with Playboy models and Beer spokesmodels and really see how they interact-- entertaining? Absolutely.

They call it a 'social experiment.' Experiment or not, it's hilarious to see how the men (or, geeks if you prefer) go about the tasks- social tasks of course: competing to see who can collect the most phone numbers, picking out an outfit for their partner, or studying pop culture. Then, the girls (or beauties) are challenged to geography tests, learning how to build a rocket, or reading a book to later be quized on.

So, they're teamed up in pairs and compete against each other. Slowly, the couples are kicked off the show until there's only 1 couple left.

I find myself laughing outloud on how the men react to the women and how the women react to their challenges... Honestly though, the entertaining part is seeing how they interact with each other, because they slowly learn to appreciate one another.

Hesitant? I don't blame you... But, I suggest you check out 1 episode, and then decide if you can handle what they call 'Beauty and the Geek.' (In this show, I, not surprisingly, relate more with the so called geeks than those beauties.)

4 comments:

Lorilee said...

I'm so happy you blogged about this.. I love this show! (Cody and I wanted to do something fun last Wed. night before he started school again--just as we were walking out the door we got sucked in and ended up staying to watch the entire 2 hour season premier, and it was more entertaining than any movie or any meal)I relate better to the geeks too, and found a special place in my heart for the boy who overheard the girls argueing about how none of them wanted to be his partner. :(

ali said...

My interest is officially sparked.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one. Although, I saw previews for next week- let's hope it doesn't get too out-of-hand.

Kim said...

Lori and Cody got us into this show last year and we watched everyone. They are so funny. Unfortunately I haven't seen any this season but now with the new tivo I'll have to record them.