2.05.2007

Long Live Oprah

So… After Oprah’s feud with writer, James Frey, I was done with her. She outright criticized him in front of millions to save her reputation. (Okay, Frey did take a lot of liberties with his “life story” for his memoir… But, how can you adequately define what a memoir is?)

I think she’s a self-touting, pretentious, tries to be just like us, but definitely is not, woman. But, she is Oprah…

And, I still watch her show.

Recently, she and her trainer, Bob Greene, launched a new campaign to help loose or maintain weight. And this can actually be useful to us… Why? They have chosen products that we already use and grouped them into snacks and foods clearly labeled for us to know that they are healthy.

For example, I love Yoplait’s Harvest Peach Yogurt… and, so does Bob Greene. If you’ve noticed, recently, they’ve placed approved BestLife labels on the yogurt, as it’s included in the diet plan. So, now I am aware that Yoplait is a pretty healthy snack. Yesss.

Another? 8th Continent’s Chocolate Soy Milk. I’ve been a Soy Milk drinker for years. I love it. And, the Chocolate can be a delicious treat. I like to drink it for breakfast, or add some bananas and ice to create a shake. This too is included in the approved BestLife diet.

They’ve even started placing approved BestLife labels on Barilla’s Whole Grain pasta, which if you’ve tried it; you know it’s really good.

To begin, they tell you to avoid the following foods:

· Soft Drinks (But, if you absolutely have to, drink only 1 per day.)
· Foods containing Trans Fat: What does that mean anyway? Trans Fat is mainly in processed foods, including: frozen meals, crackers (although, Wheat Thins Reduced Fat have 0g.), ramen noodles (but, Oriental is so good!) chips, and candy.
· Fried Foods
· White Bread (Wheat bread=staying full longer. Whole grain should be at the beginning of the ingredients list.)
· Regular Pasta (This’ll be a difficult one for me.)
· High-Fat Dairy Products: Milk, Yogurt, Ice Cream and Whipped- just take the lower-fat versions.

I’ve signed up on the website to receive recipes and ideas, so I’ll keep you posted. For me, I’m not looking to drop 15 pounds… I just like to be better informed, ya know? So, hopefully I can help you stay informed too. (Besides, isn’t swimsuit season just around the corner? And, I don’t want to feel like I have to wear a wet-suit all summer.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a problem with Ice cream.
I hate Oprah, I think she is a lesbian.

ali said...

You had better not lose 15. There wouldn't be anything left of you!

Anonymous said...

You summed up beautifully my feelings about Oprah--very ambivalent. I especially like it when she acts like she knows how to raise children. I think it's different from dog-rearing.

Good tips, though! Thanks!

Kim said...

I totally agree with you on the whole James Frey issue. I'm glad to see that something good came out of Oprah watching for you and I'm glad you shared. I'll have to take a look.

Bridgett said...

Lacey,

I watched an episode where they showed Bob Greene's Best Life show and I really liked it. I have been eating the yogurt and the pasta as well. I was also pleased to see that the pasta wasn't more expensive than the other brands. I thought for sure that they would be because it is healthier and promoted by O.
I don't like Oprah on certain things but she has tried a lot of diets and I do agree with the plan of cutting bad things out of your diet and increasing on healthier choices. I will have to log on and check out some of the recipes.
ps. I hate it as well when Oprah compares her dog rearing to raising children.