3.01.2007

Guilty Pleasure #13: I Listen to KSL

So, I’ll admit that I’ve got KSL (102.7 FM) programmed as my #1 radio button. (NPR is #2, and 90.9 is #3.) For whatever reason, I like a quick snapshot of the worldly news from the ABC Reporter. (His voice is sure gruff.) And, I enjoy hearing traffic reports every minute on the 9. With my new job, my commute to work and back is not bad at all, so I really don‘t need to listen to the traffic reports. But, for whatever reason, I like to hear what the traffic’s like for my old commute. Especially since it’s usually back-to-back traffic with lots of stopping. (Ha! Take that old job.)

So, while listening to KSL, Scott Seeger did a segment called ‘Sound Bite’ where he talks about a new album.

Guess who he reviewed? Non other than The Shins ‘Wincing the Night Away.’ I’m not going to pretend that I didn’t roll my eyes and think: Please, I knew about this band 5 years ago. And, I was tempted to change the station, because I really thought his review would drive me crazy… But, I stayed put and was pretty impressed with what he said.

He mentioned the difference in production values with this album in comparison to their previous albums, which is definitely true. There’s not the same pure sound as with Chutes Too Narrow.

He also emphasized how the Shins are evolving by doing something different, rather than doing the same thing again. He sure likes James vocals, as he referred to them as crystal. But, he said the lyrics were "strange." (I do realize he could've easily researched this story by logging onto iTunes or reading other reviews. But, he sure sounded convincing.)

Anyhow- those Shins sure are getting popular! Thankfully, I can say that I knew them when… (What was their first album called, again? :) )

And, KSL is definitely getting cooler.

3 comments:

ali said...

Good for KSL! And good for The Shins! I got to write a review "Wincing" and a reader wrote in a comment about how displeased she was with my "review, if you could call it that." Ha! It sort of turned into an essay, but, it felt natural for a music review.

I'm happy you have KSL programmed in.(Now I'm wondering, which NPR affiliate is it that you tune into?)

Unknown said...

I thought KSL was jazz. jazz sucks.

Anonymous said...

I love it too Lacey, except for they had this really cheesy music and voice saying "your updates on the Trolley Square shooting every hour" for like two weeks!!