4.04.2007

guilty pleasure #7: cheesy novels

I've been trying to finish “Atlas Shrugged“ for far too long. I can't even remember when I started reading it, but it's definitely the longest I've gone without finishing a book once I've started. It is an 1100 paged book, (I'm only on page 521.) and has amazing dialogue, character development, and not to mention all the philosophical overtones overlapped into the story.

I also really enjoy the characters, and the story. Truly. I will finish this book. I will.

In the meantime, I picked up a book my mom let me borrow. (My mom goes through at least 3 books a week.) And, on Monday night I decided to pick it up, rather than 'Atlas,' to give my brain a rest. (Which, probably doesn't need any additional relaxation.)

So, I’m currently reading a book about life-long best friends (Alex and Rosie) who maintain a relentless friendship through marriages, divorces, births, professional triumphs, and other life altering experiences in “Rosie Dunne.“ The book is written entirely in correspondence form between each character- so, the dialogue is in letters, email messages, instant messages, and the like. Right... I know... It does get old, but I'm on my way to a quick finish. (I'm already to page 150.)

The funny thing is- I already know how this book is going to end. Totally predictable, totally cheesy, totally eye-rolling writing, and yet, I'm hooked.

I like to throw an easy read into the mix every now and again, because that's what it is... easy. Too easy at times, but what can I say... I am a hopeless romantic. (Yes, I do enjoy the love triangle between Rearden+Dagny+Francisco in 'Atlas' too.) Books like these are straightforward and simple to finish.

I even read this author’s (who is only 23 by the way) other work 'P.S. I Love You...' (Yes, even with that title I read it.) But, I cannot, for the life of me, remember what it was about... Wait. I remember. It was sad. Wife looses husband- husband leaves notes for wife after his death- wife is able to cope with his death. Yep, finished that one without any problem as well.

Admittedly, I am one who is easily entertained with a silly, light-hearted, never-will-be-a-classic, or an 'Oprah' book club selection. But, the true guilt that accompanies this guilty pleasure is the desperate need I feel to read a classic after I've finished something so easy...

So, I'm hoping once I finish this book, it'll be just the motivation I need to finish the remaining 583 pages of 'Atlas Shrugged.'

Ayn Rand... I'm coming for you.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Lacey I know what you mean. I'm a sucker too. And I did read P.S. I Love You and I'm pretty sure I even cried since it was right after I got married. Probably wasn't the best thing for me to read at the time, so maybe it's a good thing you've kind of forgotten what it was about!
Good luck with Atlas!

ali said...

There's nothing wrong with knowing how a book will end. P&P never gets old. Not even the move. Actually, especially not the movie.

Glad you're taking a break. You deserve it.

Unknown said...

I want it when you are done-those are my kind of books